7.4.14

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World



When it comes to surreal reading, I look no further and just grab a Haruki Murakami book. I love his writings. As you progress chapter after chapter, you are soon absorbed into a different dimension where cats talk, a sheep is the boss, and shadows have their own mind. And all these strangeness and weirdness go on and on. But guess what, it's a good kind of weird.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is my latest Haruki read. My pace with this book was downtempo so I wouldn't be left alone with nothing to read and I was enjoying it so much I didn't want it to end right away. Besides, unearthing the end of the world bit by bit and day after day was a pleasurable pursuit. I was thrilling myself by slow-pacing my reading. Haha.

The story takes you into two divergent worlds. One where the main character meets a mad scientist and he experiences adventures underground where water and leeches and inklings could claim his life any time soon. On the other side is a town close to perfection barricaded by an impenetrable wall whose gates are regulated by a Gatekeeper who never let's anyone out. The one thing these two worlds have in common--- skulls.

This book is striking, funny, unexpected, and bizarre. Plus the characters are interesting (he always comes up with curious personalities which is one of the things I love about this author). Of course, you'll never miss insightful lines along the way which are good points to ponder on.

If you have a thing for uncanny plots, then you should grab this from the shelf (you won't be disappointed I promise). Better yet, collect all Haruki books and read them one after the other. I bet you'll be amazed afterwards. You can say, I've been to the other side (I actually feel this way after reading his books).

What are you waiting for? It's happy reading time! ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment