19.9.13

The Great Gatsby

I haven't finished the book but I'm no stranger to what will happen as the pages turn. I watched the 2013 movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and it was fine. I know, I know... it was a bad idea. Anyway, I'll try to not let the film adaptation change my appreciation of the story.

Enough beating around the bush-- I'm not going to discuss the story, I'm going to talk about the copy I just bought last weekend. *Wink* 

The book sleeve

While checking out new book stocks at a local bookstore, this interesting copy of The Great Gatsby was sitting at a corner of a shelf hardly noticeable. Seems like it was waiting to be appreciated and bought by the right person (yep, that person turned out to be me!). Was torn between A Clash of Kings and this all-time favorite classic. The latter was in a sleeve and was sealed so I couldn't take a good look but I had a feeling it was a handsome book.  I only had a glimpse of the blue spine with the silver embossed title.  Felt unsure if I can buy a fancy copy like it somewhere else, at another time, or at that affordable price (less than PhP 400) so I thought it was a rare find. After a short deliberation, I decided to purchase Gatsby.
As soon as I withdrew the book from the sleeve, I had a pleasant surprise! It's elegantly hardbound with nicely printed flyleaf plus the page edges are silver. These lovely details charmed me just like how Daisy bewitched Gatsby. Ha! Really. Every time I read the book, I never miss sniffing the pages, feeling the smooth texture and running my fingers over the embossed letters of the cover. I'm so proud a beauty like this is added in my collection. Actually, it's the fanciest-looking book I own so far. It makes me want to get more of these printed delight-- hardbound and vintagey-- just the way I like it.  






The silver page edges are so Gatsby!

I'm off to continue reading this gorgeous book. Ta ta for now!


P.S. The publisher of this copy is Arcturus Publishing Limited. I'll be looking out for other classics from them.  Books like these beautify shelves-- perfect for collections. Bibliophile mode on.


"Life is much more successfully looked at from a single window." 
~F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

No comments:

Post a Comment