16.10.13

The Quake

10.15.13

Early in the morning at around 8, I was on my bed still in a state of slumber. I didn't need to wake up early since it was a non-working holiday. All of a sudden, a shake of the ground made me open my eyes. I waited for it to stop (I thought it might not be a big deal) but then it didn't and it was different compared to the quakes I have experienced previously. I could hear a loud grinding sound like there was a construction going on underground and our house itself was shaking like crazy. There was nothing else I could do but run outside in my sleeping clothes barefoot. While I was out in the open area, I kept looking around doing a head count of my family. My mom was already with me in the street and the dogs went out also (they were really scared as well), my father, sister and her son were the last ones to come out. Everyone in our neighborhood were outside; some were even grabbing their stuff to leave and go to higher ground because of a rumor circulating that there is a tsunami coming. But we decided to stay and thought it might be a false alarm. We hurriedly took important stuff-- prepared water, food, and clothes-- so as we become ready in case we have to evacuate.

As the day progressed, we still stayed in our neighborhood. We set up tables in our garage and opened the gates so we can easily get to the road if ever another shock occurs. There were so many aftershocks along the day, some light some strong. The strongest we experienced was around 6 PM (which was reported in the news to be a 4.8 magnitude); we immediately ran out into the open upon feeling the tremor.

We were dining in mere light of candles and flashlights since the power was out. A few hours later, electricity and water were already available. For caution, we remained in our garage so we set up mats and folding beds to sleep on. It was my first time to ever experience such calamity. Who would have expected a major phenomenon like this would occur in my island. We can never really tell what nature has in store in her bag of tricks. In my lifetime, Bohol have never been shaken by an earthquake with such strong impact (7.2 magnitude). Even the older people I asked verified this.

My family and neighbors were gathered in the street talking and helping each other out. Trying to comfort  ourselves from the fear and anxiety of feeling the ground tremble again.

As we were watching the news the stories we heard of old churches destroyed were confirmed; some still standing with damaged portions while others were reduced to rubble. It was heartbreaking to see those beautiful historical temples of worship in devastating states. Many houses were in unlivable forms while roads and bridges were impassable.

Despite that, our faith is not shaken. We continue to pray for all people of the affected provinces. We shall stay hopeful and faithful that God will keep us from harm's way. I am greatly thankful that all my friends and relatives scattered around the region are safe. This misfortune is an awakening to the people. We learn to appreciate more the value of life, family, friendship, and prayer. This is reality-- we can never predict what goes on on this planet we call home but it's the only one we have. We can endure. This too shall pass.

May we all recover from this disaster. Stay safe and keep the faith.


Loboc Church
Source: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net

Chocolate Hills Viewing Deck
Source: http://www.gmanetwork.com

Abatan Bridge
Source: https://www.facebook.com/xanderfrix

No comments:

Post a Comment