3.12.13

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell



In a string of power blackouts occurring in my island as an aftermath of Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan), having a good book is a huge advantage (yup, they don't need charging). I ran out of reserve books since I’ve finished all of them already, good thing my sister had a couple from her collection that I could choose from. I readily grabbed Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers out of convenience considering its size being handy and light. A fan of fiction, I’m often entertained by strange, dreamy, extraordinary stories so I don’t read non-fiction much aside from articles online and in journals and magazines. My sister have been recommending Gladwell to me a lot of times, however, it’s only at this moment that I got a hold of one of his writings. I’m glad I picked it because as soon as I read the introduction, I got hooked. 

I cannot agree more with all the reviews printed on the book-- Gladwell is a master storyteller, no question about it. Albeit the book being non-fiction, there's no part that I find dragging or boring. I'm astounded by how he's putting everything in order, giving factual details at the same time enthralling the reader as one advances from chapter to chapter. Outliers is a story of success or rather facts of success. This path (success) everyone wants to take is not merely a platter served to one person or another; it’s actually a series of opportunities, hard work, cultural backgrounds, so on and so forth. Success is not what we actually think it is, there’s a lot more in between that we hardly notice unless we’re really meticulous or plainly observant.

This phenomenal book is abundant of thought provoking and eye-opening data that every time I turn a page I melt into reflection time and again. I come to realizations that I wish to apply in my own endeavors. It’s a literary experience that offers entertainment, information, and insights. 

Find out Bill Gates' journey to becoming America’s wealthiest person. Know the Beatles’ secret of becoming the world’s most exceptional rock band. Discover how an airline that had too many air crash changed their reputation from unsafe to one of today’s leading airlines.

Outliers is too read-worthy that I’m left giddy when I reached the last page itching to acquire another Gladwell book. I’m sure I’ll be a happy reader when I finish the rest of his masterpieces just like how I am today when the last letter entered my brain. 


I’m saving for his other best sellers— The Tipping Point, Blink, What the Dog Saw, and David and Goliath. “Absotively” recommending Outliers to everyone. You wouldn’t want to put it down. I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment