4.1.14

The Shadow of the Wind

It's been a while since my last post. Something came up that I had to stop writing for a while. Anyway, let me start 2014 with a review of my "2013 year-ender" book-- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Just like the previous read I had, this too is borrowed (again from my sister's shelf). Let me add that I'm blessed to have a book buddy for a sister, it's convenient and I get to read a number of her copies first before she does *wink*.


The Shadow of the Wind

After finding a book to take home from the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, Daniel Sempere come across various riveting characters who will turn his life around. A man with grotesque features, who calls himself Lain Coubert, demands to acquire the book from him for the sole purpose of burning it to embers. Daniel find ways to hide the book from the perpetrator. Such confrontation raises his curiosity causing him to go around Barcelona to seek answers with the help of his new found friend and confidant, Fermin. They start piecing together a puzzle that will soon lead him to finding out what truly happened to the book's author, Julian Carax.


One thing's for sure, The Shadow of the Wind is a must-read. It's thrilling, suspenseful, funny, romantic, dramatic rolled into one pile of pages you hardly want to put down. Now, who wouldn't want to read that?

By the time I started reading, it felt like a movie (which is no surprise since Carlos is an experienced screenwriter as well). As I advance in the story it seemed that I, myself, was walking the streets of Barcelona. The details of Daniel's exploits and encounters allowed me to create a lush world in my imagination that I feel I'm a part of. The compelling and engrossing story makes me want to continue on to the ending but at the same time causes me to not hurry so as I'd remain embraced in the mysteries that are haunting the characters.

This tale is one of the few that I would want to see on-screen. I hope Carlos would team up with a good filmmaker to bring this novel to life. Of course, it would be ideal that he himself work on it as the screenwriter so that it would stay loyal to the magnificent story he created. My fingers are crossed for an equally fascinating motion picture.

I'm grateful to have ended the year with a worthy read. Now... off to my first book for 2014. How about you, which novel's pages will you immerse yourself into this year?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous14.1.14

    Hi there!I'm a fan of Zafon as well. I first read Angel's Game, and from there became obsessed with his writing, and proceeded to read the rest of the series within a few weeks time. I've been ancipating the anouncement of the relase date for the final book, and have been reading his YA books for the time being. Anyway, I'm curious who the publisher is for this version. I haven't seen this cover and I absolutely love the minimal design - a stark contrast to what lies within. Thanks!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Sharon! Good to hear from a Zafon fan. I agree, this cover design charmed me as well. I'll get back to you on the publisher as soon as I get a hold of it at home. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sharon! This version is by The Orion Publishing Group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous21.1.14

    Fantastic! Thank you so, so, so much! I gave away my copy and looking for a keeper for my shelves - and this design is simply lovely... (and so, the hunt begins) :-)

    P.s. I shoot film as well. Viva 35mm!

    ReplyDelete